Beginning in 2020, MiSCA is incorporating lesson plans and coaching philosophy from Sprockids (www.sprockids.com). This builds on BICP-style we have already implemented but is more focused on kids. The initial 3-day leadership training is held at Giant Headquarters near Los Angeles, CA. They focus on teaching skills to kids (typically ages 6-18) with programming designed for bike maintenance, riding etiquette, 1st-year skills, 2nd-year skills, and advanced skills. They have lesson plans on teaching various skills within a given time period, which include skills with level/type, games, and drills. There is also a Skills Card Deck, which is like an index card for teaching each skill – with notes, keywords, etc., to aid the coach.
To kick-start this programming, MiSCA is helping to offset the travel costs for 1-coach from each team to attend the MiSCA-only Sprockids Leadership Training in May 2020. Everything else (training, bike/helmets, food, and hotel) is covered by Sprockids and Giant. There are also plans to schedule a Michigan-based Sprockids-led training to get even more coaches through the program!
Moving forward, all new teams will go through the training when they are getting started. This will provide them with the tools they need to start a successful mountain biking club in their community. Sprockids training materials, lesson plans, and teaching techniques will begin incorporation into our MiSCA-led coaching clinics in 2020 will full adoption within 2021.
More info about the Sprockids training: Coaches will participate in both a classroom session and on-the-bike experience, with more time spent on the bike than in the classroom. They cover a variety of administrative items, provide checklists, suggestions, etc. They take a very hands-on approach so, in addition to teaching the skills, attendees will practice teaching skills and participate in peer review. Other written materials including a Skills Card Deck. Each card is for a single skill and includes Objective, Standard, Teaching Hints, Time, and details on that particular skill.
Learning Emphasis and Outcomes
Participation in Sprockids not only teaches kids how to ride their bikes off-road. It also teaches skills, values, and strategies that carry over into everyday activities.
- Practice an active lifestyle
- Take responsibility for your own actions
- Have empathy for others
- Know when to be a “leader” and when to “support”
- Practice etiquette and fair play
- Having fun and playing is important to learning and balanced growth
- Give back to society
- Be Helpful to others learning new skills and concepts
- Being open-minded
- Education is important
- Experience camaraderie with others
- Self-esteem and confidence win over egotism and bravado
- Conflict resolution
- Solution-based problem solving
- Anger management, defusing conflict, and learning to choose your battles
- Stress management, including stress awareness and stress relief techniques
- Team building and cooperation
- Creative thinking and reasoning “outside the box”
- Knowing when and how to ask for help
- Learning how to work with others who have different perspectives and feelings
- Learn holistically act locally
- Understanding peer pressure and not succumbing
- Goal setting
- Time management
- Risk taking
- Stepping out of your comfort zone
- Personal planning
- Divergent thinking
- Learning from your mistakes
- Working as part of a team
- Understanding the role & benefit of technology
- Public speaking
- Interpersonal communication